IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

How should we think about weird things?
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

Postby Poodle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:39 pm

gorgeous wrote:not just chemtrails....Harvard Study Confirms Fluoride Reduces Children's IQ | HuffPost

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-merco ... 79833.html

Jan 28, 2013 - A recently-published Harvard University meta-analysis funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has concluded that children who live in areas with highly fluoridated water have “significantly lower” IQ scores than those who live in low fluoride areas. In a 32-page report that can be downloaded free of ---------------lower IQ's so public won't know what the govt is doing... ------it's why much of Europe has outlawed fluoride in water....they know....

Whereas a far greater number of studies from around the world say that moderate fluoridisation has beneficial effects on dental health. You can prefer whatever you like, gorgeous, but I'll just point out to you that large parts of Derbyshire in the UK have natural high-fluoride levels in the water supply as a result of fluorspar (calcium fluoride) occurring there in large deposits. It's been mined there for centuries and is present in the water supply in what would be regarded as high dosage levels. Yet Derbyshire is not known for its fluoride-damaged population. I trust that you always warn your neighbours against wearing decorative fashion items made from Blue John.

EDIT: Having said that, I've just remembered an old rhyme, ironically from Derbyshire ...

Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred,
Strong in th'arm and thick in th'ead.
Last edited by Poodle on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: Try having an original thought once in awhile.

"404 Brain not found." :lol:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Dubious

Postby Dubious » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:34 am

Why not include God and religion in that assumption.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 am

Dubious wrote:Why not include God and religion in that assumption.

Yeah, but one difference is that some conspiracies actually occur, exist. Supernatural gods don't.

The plot to overthrow President Erdogan of Turkey, for example, was a tight conspiracy, while the attempt to impeach Trump is a very loose conspiracy.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Shen1986
Veteran Poster

Postby Shen1986 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote:Best of luck comrades, Mike
Poodle wrote: So whose Mike?
gorgeous wrote: IDK (I don't know)

Asking Gorgeous a question is like asking a really stupid goldfish what it was thinking five seconds ago. :lol:

Please do not insult the goldfish some humans in the world are less intelligent then bacteria or a goldfish. I would be rather with a goldfish then with some humans. Also I read that those 5 seconds is a myth.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Tom Palven wrote:

Yeah, but one difference is that some conspiracies actually occur, exist. Supernatural gods don't.

The plot to overthrow President Erdogan of Turkey, for example, was a tight conspiracy, while the attempt to impeach Trump is a very loose conspiracy.

A conspiracy is a secret plan. Which secret plan to impeach Trump are you talking about?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Gord wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:

A conspiracy is a secret plan. Which secret plan to impeach Trump are you talking about?

Apparently you're right, the definitions of "conspiracy" that I looked at contain the word "secret."

So, the efforts to impeach Trump seem to fit the word "collaboration" than "conspiracy:"

col·lab·o·ra·tion
[kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n]
the action of working with someone to produce or create something:
"he wrote on art and architecture in collaboration with John Betjeman"
something produced or created by collaboration:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 pm

Actually, it's more like the volunteer fire department.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:11 pm

real conspiracy Gloria Steinem - How The CIA Used Feminism To Destabilize Society

www.rense.com/general21/hw.htm

Since writing these words last week, I have discovered that before she became a feminist leader, Gloria Steinem worked for the CIA spying on Marxist students in Europe and disrupting their meetings. She became a media darling due to her CIA connections. MS Magazine, which she edited for many years was indirectly ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 pm

gorgeous wrote:real conspiracy Gloria Steinem - How The CIA Used Feminism To Destabilize Society

http://www.rense.com/general21/hw.htm

Since writing these words last week, I have discovered that before she became a feminist leader, Gloria Steinem worked for the CIA spying on Marxist students in Europe and disrupting their meetings. She became a media darling due to her CIA connections. MS Magazine, which she edited for many years was indirectly ...

There are no links to corroborate the allegations in your link, and I would end to dismiss it except that I know that Project Mockingbird, in which the CIA supported certain sycophants in the US media is well documented, as well as the fact that the CIA has paid sycophants in every major newspaper in evey large city in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Tom Palven wrote:There are no links to corroborate the allegations in your link, and I would end to dismiss it except that I know that Project Mockingbird, in which the CIA supported certain sycophants..........
You should join forces with Gorgeous.

Gorgeous claims alien lizards control the world and is still a member of the Seth channeled spirit cult from the late 60's.

( You have worked out Gorgeous is a senile elderly bloke, right?)
:lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:There are no links to corroborate the allegations in your link, and I would end to dismiss it except that I know that Project Mockingbird, in which the CIA supported certain sycophants..........
You should join forces with Gorgeous.

Gorgeous claims alien lizards control the world and is still a member of the Seth channeled spirit cult from the late 60's.

( You have worked out Gorgeous is a senile elderly bloke, right?)
:lol:

Again you dispute Wikipedia, which most, I think, regard as an honest cop; why I usually don't use other sources.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=th ... &FORM=VIRE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 am

Anti-USA troll Tom Palven had a Russian talking point and wrote: Again you dispute Wikipedia, which most, I think...........
This thread is about the psychology of conspiracy theorists. You already have 17 propaganda threads about how bad the CIA is in Politics. :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 am

gorgeous wrote:http://www.rense.com/general21/hw.htm

Other great articles from Rense.Com that Tom and Gorgeous will like
"Professor Exposes The Aliens Among Us"
http://www.rense.com/general54/aleins.htm

"Jewish Dominance Of America - Facts Are Facts"
http://www.rense.com/general59/sdom.htm

"Hitler Didn't Want World War Illuminati Created and Manipulated Hitler"
http://www.rense.com/general50/itle.htm

Feminism Deprives Women of Father's Love Creates Social Dysfunction
http://www.rense.com/general44/makfem.htm

Rense is an anti-Semitic neo-nazi website. Gloria Steinem is Jewish. :lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:42 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Anti-USA troll Tom Palven had a Russian talking point and wrote: Again you dispute Wikipedia, which most, I think...........
This thread is about the psychology of conspiracy theorists. You already have 17 propaganda threads about how bad the CIA is in Politics. :lol:

I was addressing Gorgeous and the OP when you chimed in with an off-topic attack on me, Jan. 6, 11:59 PM if you will recall. :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 am

Tom Palven wrote: I was addressing Gorgeous and the OP when you chimed in.
Gorgeous was posting another anti-CIA spam from the anti-Semitic Rense website, he uses. You should invite Gorgeous to join your mutual Trump loving team in the Politics sub forum. :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 am

Tom Palven wrote: Again you dispute Wikipedia, which most, I think, regard as an honest cop;
Wikipedia is a fan based website for people who can barley read. It is perfect for you and Gorgeous.

This thread is called "IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN" which isn't about your CIA conspiracy theories is it?

Try reading the thread title next time, so as to not prove the point of the thread title.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Gord wrote:He used to be short for microphone.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Harvard Study Confirms Fluoride Reduces Children's IQ | HuffPost

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-merco ... 79833.html

--------- Fluoride exposure in utero linked to lower IQ in kids, study says - CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/health/f ... index.html
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Many European countries have rejected water fluoridation, including: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Scotland, Iceland, and Italy.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm

^^fluoride conspiracy to dumb down the population...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 pm

No, they only got you & friends.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Fluoride is supposed to be added at no more than one part per million. At those levels, it is totally safe. That is also the standard for fluoridation of water supplies. If someone adds more, he is a criminal.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:08 pm

the govt doesn't care about your teeth...

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 pm

The government generates standards for such things as fluoride use. Not following those standards is criminal.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 pm

... Deleted ...
Wrong page.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Gord wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:

Apparently you're right, the definitions of "conspiracy" that I looked at contain the word "secret."

So, the efforts to impeach Trump seem to fit the word "collaboration" than "conspiracy:"

col·lab·o·ra·tion
[kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n]
the action of working with someone to produce or create something:
"he wrote on art and architecture in collaboration with John Betjeman"
something produced or created by collaboration:
However, "collaboration" doesn't imply malicious actions to further a goal. John Lennon and Paul McCartney collaborated to create some of the best music in modern history. The ISS is a multinational scientific collaboration, as is the human genome project.

Saying that people are collaborating to impeach Trump does not speak either to the collaborators' motives OR to Trump's constitutional violations, which qualify as "high crimes and misdemeanors" and are, therefore, worthy of impeachment. Hell, Trump makes Nixon look like a piker.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Rense is an anti-Semitic neo-nazi website. Gloria Steinem is Jewish. :lol:
Reminds me of an experience I had as a postal supervisor. One of my mail handlers approached me with gossip he wanted to share...that a co-worker was a neo-nazi. I mentally chortled while encouraging the gossiper to bury himself: "Oh, really? How do you know that?"

"He's got a spiderweb tattoo on his elbow; that's one of their symbols."

"So, based on a tattoo, you believe that B. Cohen is a neo-nazi?" :lol:

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm

gorgeous wrote:the govt doesn't care about your teeth...
No, they don't care about your health at all. That's why they mandated that iodine be added to table salt, vitamin D to milk, and folic acid to processed grain products. :roll:
the FDA wrote:The policy includes statements that nutrients added to food should be stable, physiologically available, present at a level that will not led to excess intake, suitable for fortification purposes, and acceptable in terms of food safety regulations.
And why municipal water supplies must be filtered to eliminated bacteria and environmental toxins. And why we have sewage treatment plants. And speed limits. And seatbelt, helmet, and carseat laws. And occupational and consumer safety regulations. And building codes. And nearly every regulation you care to name.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 am

It doesn't surprise me that science says that there may be a link between an avid conspiracy theorist and brain function.

As a medic, I ran on any number of people who were crazy, on drugs, suffering from Alzheimer's, and so on.

A common denominator in the vast majority of these brain ailments is, of course, paranoia.

Drugs cause paranoia (as an example, pot use causes many people to get paranoid...at least when they first use it), chronic alcoholism causes paranoia, sleep deprivation can cause paranoia, and so on.

What's the difference between paranoia and seeing conspiracies everywhere?

Not too damn much, if you ask me.

Just don't all you guys go behind my back to gang up on me for posting this.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 am

Going behind someone's back on an internet forum is an interesting concept.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 am

Kevin

I have always thought that an element of paranoia is adaptive, built into us by natural selection. Being too trusting would carry the risk of betrayal and be counter survival. Perhaps paranoia as mental illness is simply the proper adaptive trait out of control? What do you think ?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am

Poodle wrote:Going behind someone's back on an internet forum is an interesting concept.

We'd get tangled up in all those {!#%@} cables. :(

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Kevin

I have always thought that an element of paranoia is adaptive, built into us by natural selection. Being too trusting would carry the risk of betrayal and be counter survival. Perhaps paranoia as mental illness is simply the proper adaptive trait out of control? What do you think ?

Don't elevate caution to paranoia.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

citizens demanded health and safety adds, not the govt...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

gorgeous wrote:citizens demanded health and safety adds, not the govt...

You are lying again. The USA Department of health pays for anti smoking advertisements.
Quit smoking.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am

Gorgeous never lies. You have to be conscious to lie.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Poodle wrote:Going behind someone's back on an internet forum is an interesting concept.
We'd get tangled up in all those {!#%@} cables. :(
Not to mention we'd get lost in all those tubes. Unless one of you has a map. :P

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:26 pm

gorgeous wrote:citizens demanded health and safety adds, not the govt...
Wrong. Do you really think citizens demanded that folic acid be added to products made from grain? Honestly? Many of them probably think folic acid is a dangerous drug. :lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 pm

safety belts was one....

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”