Strange Coincidence and magic thinking

How should we think about weird things?
Dvarty22

Strange Coincidence and magic thinking

Postby Dvarty22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi I want to be a sceptical and reasonable person but I have this problem of being irrational for example lots of strange coincidences have been happening to me. For example I've been going through this process of religion and atheism but lots of strange coincidences and happening to me and I'm wondering if it's supernatural or religious. for example I would listen to an atheist podcast in it they mentioned the painter Bob Ross and the day after I saw a picture of him on the internet this type of thing as been happening a lot like 3 different times in one week for example. Also wen looking up atheist I have spelled something wrong and been brought to something religious instead on the web this as happens twice over a few months and I am really getting worried about it all.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Strange Coincidence and magic thinking

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Supernatural and religious are basically the same thing.

Noticing Bob Ross after listening to an atheist podcast is a coincidence.

Misspelling something and ending up seeing a religious website is almost bound to happen -- I think a lot of misspelling happens on religious websites. ;)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:47 pm

sounds like gremlins are messing with you....lol....no...it is real and called synchronicity--------Synchronicity | Definition of Synchronicity by Merriam-Webster

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/synchronicity

1 : the quality or fact of being synchronous. 2 : the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated ... -------------------------------------What is Synchronicity?

The term synchronicity is coined by Jung to express a concept that belongs to him. It is about acausal connection of two or more psycho-physic phenomena. This concept was inspired to him by a patient's case that was in situation of impasse in treatment. Her exaggerate rationalism (animus inflation) was holding her back from assimilating unconscious materials. One night, the patient dreamt a golden scarab - cetonia aurata. The next day, during the psychotherapy session, a real insect this time, hit against the Jung's cabinet window. Jung caught it and discovered surprisingly that it was a golden scarab; a very rare presence for that climate.
------the scarab represents rebirth --------------- Several psychoanalysts noted certain strange coincidences in which their patients received information about them by extra-sensorial ways, information that was not accessible to the general public.------------------------------it is not magic...just your higher consciousness at work....the non-physical consciousness......
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:14 pm

gorgeous, your information is terrible and misleading.

Dvarty22, try wikipedia if you want a better explanation of synchronicity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Synchronicity is a concept, first explained by psychoanalyst Carl Jung, which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship yet seem to be meaningfully related. During his career, Jung furnished several slightly different definitions of it. Jung variously defined synchronicity as an "acausal connecting (togetherness) principle," "meaningful coincidence", and "acausal parallelism."

Basically, it describes the sense of meaningfulness we experience when we encounter a coincidence, but it doesn't by itself say "we have psychic powers". While some people (including Jung himself) have tried to use the concept as an argument for supernatural stuff. Scientists today dismiss the paranormal as pseudoscience, yet still use the concept of synchronicity to discuss things with unknown or unknowable causal connections.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:19 pm

scientists will learn ....they are very dense about their own greater reality..
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:39 pm

gorgeous wrote:scientists will learn

Scientists have learnt. You haven't.
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 pm

I know more about existence than they do....

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 pm

I doubt you know more about anything that anyone.
#ANDAMOVIE

Dvarty22

Postby Dvarty22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks for the information you provided I know I am prone to being irrational sometimes

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:54 pm

reality is more than physical...the mind is not physical...synchronicities happen...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:16 pm

Noticing something after it has been mentioned just means you actually noticed it - before the mention, it would have had no or little meaning to you and would have just been one of many uninteresting and, most likely, ignored things. Remember when that friend/relative of yours got that particular car? Suddenly the roads were filled with them and/or others of that color etc., no?

As to internet searches, religion is so prevalent, one can't even type in common names without getting mostly biblical hits. For example, try "Matthew". :-P

Dvarty22

Postby Dvarty22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you scrnbldggs this sort of thing scars me wen it happens slot around the same time my family think I am being stupid but it's nice to speak to others about it

Bart Stewart
Regular Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum, Dvarty!
I always thought this one was among the best on the web.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Anyone mention confirmation bias? You notice the coincidences and not the time you saw a picture of Bob Ross when nobody had mention him.

Also, Ross's show was recently added to Netflix, so he's probably more likely to appear in all sorts of odd places on the internet, including podcasts. So, it might not be coincident at all. I'm not surprised that mispelling atheist brings you to a religious site, probably one with anti-atheist propaganda.

Edit, I see that scrmbldggs did mention confirmation bias, just not by name.
Last edited by ahhell on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Dvarty22 wrote:Thanks for the information you provided I know I am prone to being irrational sometimes
Don't worry about it, the fundamental lesson of skepticism is that we are all prone to be irrational and it takes work to avoid.

Dvarty22

Postby Dvarty22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 pm

I really do think some of this is what happened and I am prone to confirmation bias . About the internet search I was looking up Sean Carroll the scientist and atheist I spell his name wrong and came up with a religious list of books. I thing some one involved in the books had a similar name or something like that. Out of curiosity do you all strange coincidences happen to you all ?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Even a search for Sean Carroll with the correct spelling should come up with some religious hits, since he writes about origins and argues against certain claims by religious apologists.

As for coincidences, I encounter them a lot. That's normal. For instance, two days ago I was trying to google the title of a movie I'd seen in the 80s: I could only remember a few things about it, and none of it led to movie titles. Then I tried typing in something I barely remembered; I wasn't even sure it was in the movie (sometimes I get movies mixed up and blend them together in my mind). That led to the wrong sort of sites too, but I gave up trying and clicked on one of the links for a completely different reason and found by coincidence the website mentioned the name of one of the actors in the movie.

There's also the famous game called "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degre ... evin_Bacon

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is a parlour game based on the "six degrees of separation" concept, which posits that any two people on Earth are six or fewer acquaintance links apart. Movie buffs challenge each other to find the shortest path between an arbitrary actor and prolific character actor Kevin Bacon. It rests on the assumption that anyone involved in the Hollywood film industry can be linked through their film roles to Bacon within six steps. The game requires a group of players to try to connect any such individual to Kevin Bacon as quickly as possible and in as few links as possible.

Many things appear to be coincidences simply because we don't know just how interconnected things can be. For instance, it turned out that I went to school with a second cousin of mine and neither of us knew we were even related until a chance discovery several years later. Another time, I discovered a friend of mine had a younger sister who was friends with the younger sister of a completely different friend of mine (I found this out when I saw a photograph of my seconds friend's sister's baby on my first friend's refrigerator).
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:21 pm

why is it scary dvarty22?,,,,it happens because of synchron. ....it is normal...

Dvarty22

Postby Dvarty22 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:56 am

Because It's unusual and not the norm makes me question my opinion of reality that can be very desterbing

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:25 pm

reality is not what we think it is.....there are non-physical dimensions and alternative lives of ours happening at the same time... -------Scientist May Have Found Proof Of Alternate, Parallel Universe ...

www.techtimes.com/.../scientist-may-hav ... ate-para...

Nov 5, 2015 - Scientist May Have Found Proof Of Alternate, Parallel Universe ...

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:35 pm

seth-----------"-Your planetary systems exist at once, simultaneously, both in time and in space. The universe that you seem to perceive, either visually or through instruments, appears to be composed of galaxies, stars, and planets, at various distances from you. Basically, however, this is an illusion. Your senses and your very existence as physical creatures program you to perceive the universe in such a way. The universe as you know it is your interpretation of events as they intrude upon your three-dimensional reality. The events are mental. This does not mean that you cannot travel to other planets, for example, within that physical universe, any more than it means that you cannot use tables to hold books, glasses, and oranges, although the table has no solid qualities of its own."

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Candy man
Candy man
Candy man
I dare you to say it again.

There are soooooo many people on
this planet that 6 degrees of separation
is now 0 degrees of separation. The words
travel so fast from person to person that
it's like your echo. Nature responds with
what you call for.

If there's anything I've learned from
this lot here is that you must be careful
of what you ask for as you just might
get it and be careful of how you word it
as you might get more than you bargained for.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:21 pm

"Candy Man."

No.......6 degrees of separation are still 6. Numbers are like that.

Nature has never given me a thing. I had to do it all myself or just accept the given situation.

Having one of everything without having anything: meaningless drivel.

Only one universe.

Looks like my job is done for the morning.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

LogicalSceptic

Postby LogicalSceptic » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:48 pm

gorgeous wrote:seth-----------"-Your planetary systems exist at once, simultaneously, both in time and in space. The universe that you seem to perceive, either visually or through instruments, appears to be composed of galaxies, stars, and planets, at various distances from you. Basically, however, this is an illusion. Your senses and your very existence as physical creatures program you to perceive the universe in such a way. The universe as you know it is your interpretation of events as they intrude upon your three-dimensional reality. The events are mental. This does not mean that you cannot travel to other planets, for example, within that physical universe, any more than it means that you cannot use tables to hold books, glasses, and oranges, although the table has no solid qualities of its own."

gorgeous,
Leave the Seth thing alone. It's a deception.

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:"Candy Man."

No.......6 degrees of separation are still 6. Numbers are like that.

Nature has never given me a thing. I had to do it all myself or just accept the given situation.

Having one of everything without having anything: meaningless drivel.

Only one universe.

Looks like my job is done for the morning.

Not even funny ? Ur not feeling well?

Who's thinking of you?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Giuh8crZM
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 am

Seth is ok...a good teacher...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:08 am

LogicalSceptic wrote: gorgeous, Leave the Seth thing alone. It's a deception.

It's more than a deception. Jane Roberts invented "Seth" the channeled alien as an outright money making religious scam. Jane Roberts, was a B-Grade science fiction writer. When Ron Hubbard another B-Grade science fiction writer said he was going to invent a religion to make a profit, Jane Roberts took his advice. :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:30 pm

I think you're really denigrating actual B-Grade science fiction writers, there.
#ANDAMOVIE

GB_Cobber

Postby GB_Cobber » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Coincidence in fractal time is the equivalent of self similarity in fractal geometry. Perfectly natural.

Experiencing synchronycity, as Carl Jung defined this phenomenon, is nothing to be afraid of, it's just being more in tune with the beating heart of life, which when you break it down to fundamentals is little more than a whole bunch of optimally organized lag.

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:57 pm

gorgeous wrote:Seth is ok...a good teacher...

I really do not like being edjumicated
as it is not natural.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I would never edjumicate you whatever that is...

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:02 pm

GB_Cobber wrote:Coincidence in fractal time is the equivalent of self similarity in fractal geometry. Perfectly natural.

Experiencing synchronycity, as Carl Jung defined this phenomenon, is nothing to be afraid of, it's just being more in tune with the beating heart of life, which when you break it down to fundamentals is little more than a whole bunch of optimally organized lag.

So when you fine tune your hearing you can
hear the heartbeat of life being broken?
Can you magnify it so I can see it?
The heartbeat of life.... Interesting...
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:06 pm

JAngel's signature wrote:You replace God with a government ~
Jesus with a doctor and the Holy Spirit
with preachers.
Do not blame God.

Humans like to invent a scapegoat. And an impotent one at that...

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 pm

gorgeous wrote:I would never edjumicate you whatever that is...

Educate
Force to conform to the ideals of
the Norms that rule the world.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:10 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
JAngel's signature wrote:You replace God with a government ~
Jesus with a doctor and the Holy Spirit
with preachers.
Do not blame God.

Humans like to invent a scapegoat. And an impotent one at that...

Is that what Trump is? I knew ya put him
on stage for somethings entertaining lol
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”