Am I Crazy Or Am I Travelling Through Parallel Universes?

How should we think about weird things?
advaitaskeptic

Am I Crazy Or Am I Travelling Through Parallel Universes?

Postby advaitaskeptic » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:36 pm

I find things in places I didn't leave them, and permanent things in other people's places that are suddenly different. Like a door handle being on the wrong side of the dooer, a door bell in a different position, and support post in a home in a slightly different location. There's also conversations that apparently never happened, and event past history of my life recalled differently by others. Everyone act like all these things are the way they always were.

Should I consult a quantum physicist?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Am I Crazy Or Am I Travelling Through Parallel Universes?

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Relax, it's only those new non-local toilets.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:57 pm

advaitaskeptic wrote:I find things in places I didn't leave them, and permanent things in other people's places that are suddenly different. Like a door handle being on the wrong side of the dooer, a door bell in a different position, and support post in a home in a slightly different location. There's also conversations that apparently never happened, and event past history of my life recalled differently by others. Everyone act like all these things are the way they always were.

Consult a quantum mechanic.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:02 pm

advaitaskeptic wrote:I find things in places I didn't leave them, and permanent things in other people's places that are suddenly different. Like a door handle being on the wrong side of the dooer, a door bell in a different position, and support post in a home in a slightly different location. There's also conversations that apparently never happened, and event past history of my life recalled differently by others. Everyone act like all these things are the way they always were.

A memory tutor might be more useful.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

advaitaskeptic

Postby advaitaskeptic » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Since quantum mechanics proves that we are travelling parallel universes all the time, I prefer a quantum physicist , he may help me get back to my 33º universe (where I was rich and {!#%@})
In my last universe Obama was dead, and schwarzenegger was the president

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:44 pm

advaitaskeptic wrote:Since quantum mechanics proves that we are travelling parallel universes all the time,

It proves nothing of the sort. The Many-Worlds hypothesis is just one possible explanation of the fact that quantum events are not deterministic.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 pm

I understand that the gremlins move stuff about quite regularly – sort of as a joke on humans who would make stuff up. Keeps `em humored.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:06 pm

The simplest explanation is insanity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:31 pm

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:18 am

I'm going with the fuzzy boundry hypothosis for now. Wenever you go to sleep and dream, you arent firmly on track and can skip over to the next or nearby universez. Maybe sum peepl more than otherz, and you can just az eazily drift back to previous universez.

If you happen to be in the same univers az you were wen an event occured wen you are remembering it, it seemz rite. If not, you mite be misremembering, but just az likely, its kuz you arent in the univers where it happened the way you remember.
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:58 am

Jo

That is not the best explanation. It is a bit like your view that optical illusions are Little Grey Men from outer space. You are more likely to be correct if you stick to simple explanations that do not demand major new phenomena. The simplest explanation for many of these observations is the already well known weaknesses in human perception.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:01 am

JO 753 wrote:I'm going with the fuzzy boundry hypothosis for now. Wenever you go to sleep and dream, you arent firmly on track and can skip over to the next or nearby universez. Maybe sum peepl more than otherz, and you can just az eazily drift back to previous universez.

If you happen to be in the same univers az you were wen an event occured wen you are remembering it, it seemz rite. If not, you mite be misremembering, but just az likely, its kuz you arent in the univers where it happened the way you remember.

Why would it be that the dream state allows skipping around universes? (And by inference, any other altered state/condition of mind would too?)

And why is it that only the wholly alert and "sane" mind is stuck with same old, same old? Or is that one :nuts: - and/or in a deep state of the Nile?

:-P

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:54 am

advaitaskeptic wrote:Since quantum mechanics proves that we are travelling parallel universes all the time,
Firstly, as Oleg stated the parallel universe concept is just one extreme mathematical variation of modern quantum mechanics theory. However if you were in the parallel universe where your door knob was on the other side, that would be your universe and you would not be aware of the difference. At no point does any quantum mechanic theory suggest a person can swap back and forth between alternative parallel universes.

If you return to thinking about the double slit experiment, once you measure the photon, you collapse its quantum state. You can't return it to its previous state, which is what you are suggesting.

In the previous thread you said you would study quantum mechanics. Have you done so?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:03 am

One of the silliest claims by woosters is that ordinary objects, like door knobs, will simply appear in new locations in alternative parallel universes, like the other side of the door.

Of the billions, times billions, times billions of atoms and other potential variations that exist in a door and its door knob, to think that the a random parallel universe will simply move the whole door knob to the other side, and still be a door knob and useful for humans is clearly ridiculous and religious

I invite Advaitaskeptic to calculate the probability of this.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:11 am

Wen you are conscious, you hav continuity. Usually, anyway.

But youre rite - maybe the dream state iznt needed.

In case anybody didnt assume this - its not your body thats drifting between universez, its just your mind moving from its body in wun universe to the same body in a different universe.

This similar to the crazy hypothosis I mentioned several yirz ago in wich wen you die, your spirit goez into all the remaining youz in other universez, eventually leaving only 1. In that universe, you are God.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:26 am

Wun uv the ideaz that got me thinking about fuzzy borderz iz the insignificant detail problem.

The door being reversed, for example, haz virtually no significans even to the rezidens uv the house. Even tho there coud be infinite universez, the repetition to accomidate detailz that make no differens seemz rediculous, but where do you draw the line?

The Earth coud blow up tommorow, but nobody in any other galaxy woud ever notis, or care if they did. An entire galaxy coud disappear! Even if our astronomerz notised, it will hav happened millionz uv yirz ago and had zero effect on us then and no practical effect now.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:18 am

JO 753 wrote:Wun uv the ideaz that got me thinking about fuzzy borderz iz the insignificant detail problem. The door being reversed, for example, haz virtually no significans even to the rezidens uv the house. Even tho there coud be infinite universez, the repetition to accomidate detailz that make no differens seemz rediculous, but where do you draw the line?
Mathematics.

If we restrict ourselves to atoms and state there are a trillion atoms in the door and its knob, what is the probability that all those atoms will "requantize" as a door shaped thing at all? What would be the number of potential variations that could result? I'd say the probability of a door knob tiny swapping sides is so tiny as to be an impossibility.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:40 am

A doorknob will have roughly 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (One hundred billion trillion) atoms. Use your maths on that!!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:46 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:The simplest explanation is insanity.

Mildly seconded, but reducing "insanity" to "troubles".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:58 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I'd say the probability of a door knob tiny swapping sides is so tiny as to be an impossibility.

The probabilty iz 50/50 in situationz in wich the direction the door openz duznt make a differens.

And az it happenz, I no frum personal experiens that its not 100% garranteed to be on the same side wen it duz make a differens. The front door on my house opened away from the doorway uv the front bedroom at the bottom uv the stairz, requiring wun to swing it all the way back to enter the front room! In order to cloze the door, you woud haf to either enter the bedroom or go up a step or 2! :nuts: It wuz wun uv the 1st thingz I chanjed wen I moved in.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:38 am

You're crazy
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I'd say the probability of a door knob tiny swapping sides is so tiny as to be an impossibility.
JO 753 wrote:The probabilty iz 50/50 in situationz in wich the direction the door openz duznt make a differens.
No, not really. The atoms that form the door know, don't actually know "they form a doorknob." It is as probable that the same atoms would form a boat, a pair of hedge clippers, or a complete mess of atoms that have no purpose, as reform a door knob on the other side of the door.

Quantum mechanics does not suggest that atoms have an intrinsic "this is what I do" purpose at all.

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:44 pm

All I hear is that it's something to do
with water body weight and water in
the ears. Dry up and it will go away.
:-)

I recomend a dehumidifier :-)
*~ •~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*

First they hired me.
No they didn't .
Then they fired me.
Yep.
They by (?) I just walked away......

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:34 pm

Youre going by the idea that everything just fell together and in an alternate universe it fell together in a different order, Matt.

I'm going by the idea that you are in a universe thats very similar to the wun you were in befor (az per the OP), so the door haz a similar history exept for being hung from the oppozit side uv the frame. Wether it happenz to be made uv atomz that corelate with the other universez atomz iz irrelevent.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:50 am

JO 753 wrote:Youre going by the idea that everything just fell together and in an alternate universe it fell together in a different order, Matt. I'm going by the idea that you are in a universe thats very similar to the wun you were in befor (az per the OP), so the door haz a similar history exept for being hung from the oppozit side uv the frame. Wether it happenz to be made uv atomz that corelate with the other universez atomz iz irrelevent.
That's the story line from the TV Series "Sliders", that I used to watch and enjoy.

However quantum mechanics is very different.

Sliders TV Advertisement (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrNNKYBMXM

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:10 am

That looks OK! I'll haf to see if they got it at the library.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 am

JO 753 wrote:That looks OK! I'll haf to see if they got it at the library.

The show was quite good as the "parallel universe" of fictional television, gave the scriptwriters a lot of freedom to explore real world topics, as stand alone stories.

There was an episode of a virus wiping out 90% of the world's population and the responding evolved social etiquette of remaining humans, not touching each other.

In another episode "lawyers take over the world" and our regular cast have to buy a cheese burgers from a fast food restaurant run by lawyers. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmY56Q1Gx-Q

I do love good science fiction.

advaitaskeptic

Postby advaitaskeptic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:18 am

I'm obviously trolling, I can't understand how you guys take any BS seriously

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:24 am

advaitaskeptic wrote:I'm obviously trolling, I can't understand how you guys take any BS seriously

Prove that you are a troll, and don`t believe the {!#%@} in your OP.... :roll:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:39 am

advaitaskeptic wrote:I'm obviously trolling,

Well....as you combined Advaita with skeptic, when they are exact opposites, you are either trolling or very confused. :D

So I can assume you were lying in all your previous posts? :?:

advaitaskeptic

Postby advaitaskeptic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:39 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
advaitaskeptic wrote:I'm obviously trolling,

Well....as you combined Advaita with skeptic, when they are exact opposites, you are either trolling or very confused. :D

So I can assume you were lying in all your previous posts? :?:

obviously. lmao. :twisted: :lol:

advaitaskeptic

Postby advaitaskeptic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:41 am

TJrandom wrote:
advaitaskeptic wrote:I'm obviously trolling, I can't understand how you guys take any BS seriously

I don't need to prove something that is so {!#%@} obvious

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 pm

TJrandom wrote:

Rained in and bored, TJ? :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:51 am

advaitaskeptic wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

I don't need to prove something that is so {!#%@} obvious

Poe's Law suggests otherwise. Come to think of it, so does most of the internet.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:06 am

advaitaskeptik wrote:
I'm obviously trolling, I can't understand how you guys take any BS seriously

Pointless moron.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

Usual Suspect

Postby Usual Suspect » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:15 am

People perceive that strange things happen. Of that there is very little doubt. The question is how to reasonably explain it. I consider myself to be skeptical. I also have had some rather bizarre experiences. I don't think I'm crazy. I don't think everyone else who has had bizarre experience is crazy either. Alternate universes are theoretically possible and might explain some weirdness, but we just don't know enough about your experiences or whether any other universes besides this one actually exist. A popular theory is that our universe is some sort of complex simulation. If that's the case then a lot of bizarre experiences might be the result of the way the system works or how it is influenced by whatever operates it. The important thing is not to draw conclusions without sufficient evidence.

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:43 pm

I was asleep and somebody asked me if I
was afraid of being trapped in there. I said
no and walked through a dark fog then
my eyes opened . I like playing with
sleep states .
*~ •~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*

First they hired me.
No they didn't .
Then they fired me.
Yep.
They by (?) I just walked away......