How should we think about weird things?
sandisk
Poster

existence

Postby sandisk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:30 pm

objects, the sun, the moon, etc, exist

they have existence, they don't "exist"

do you guys agree?
Last edited by sandisk on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: existence

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Water doesn't exist, There is only wetness.

??

You show me a handful of existence and I'll show you a universe of wetness.

It's navel-gazing garbage. Or else we've wasted a shitload of money building the LHC.

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:23 pm

In direct evidence do you find a border between you and the world ?

Is there a gap between your knowing and experience from the phenomena which is known by you? I don't know

I don't know maybe I'm into mumbo jumbo after reading some stuff
Last edited by sandisk on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 pm

I may believe in Allah
Last edited by sandisk on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:51 pm

sandisk wrote:You are not aware , awareness contain you. You don't lose awareness at night when you sleep, because you don't have a body, a body contains you .

Are you saying the Awareness (Oneness) that holds a body in awareness also is trapped in a body for as long as it does so?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:27 am

sandisk wrote:people, objects, the sun, the moon, etc, don't have existence

Is Existence itself which has people, objects, the sun, the moon, etc.

do you guys agree?

Nope. Apparently I define "existence" entirely differently and have very little understanding of not only your definition, but the purpose of it and the need you felt to create it.

Here is a picture of two large trees:

One exists and one doesn't.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:43 am

Yes, but which one is which?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 am

The one you don't see can be anything within and outside of all known existence. It can be as small or as large as you can imagine. It can be any color, size, age. It can be in full bloom or bare. It can be teeming with life or abandoned, lifeless. It can stand alone or among a forest. And dig those two hot lesbians going at it under that one tree you can see.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:00 am

Aztexan wrote:... And dig those two hot lesbians going at it under that one tree you can see.

Let me guess - they are mowing the lawn? :)

Skepticon of Pyrrhonia

Postby Skepticon of Pyrrhonia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:00 pm

I think anything you can observe directly or indirectly can be said to exist. Atoms, gravity, people, trees,etc. 'Existence' and 'Being' are made up philosophical concepts though ;)

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:09 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Aztexan wrote:... And dig those two hot lesbians going at it under that one tree you can see.

Let me guess - they are mowing the lawn? :)

Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Poodle wrote:Yes, but which one is which?

Oh my yes, it certainly is, isn't it?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi, Skepticon. Welcome to Pyrrhonia.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Skepticon of Pyrrhonia wrote:I think anything you can observe directly or indirectly can be said to exist. Atoms, gravity, people, trees,etc. 'Existence' and 'Being' are made up philosophical concepts though ;)

Oh, what a breath of fresh air. Welcome to the madhouse, Skepticon.

Azania
Access Suspended

Postby Azania » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:29 pm

Skepticon of Pyrrhonia wrote:I think anything you can observe directly or indirectly can be said to exist. Atoms, gravity, people, trees,etc. 'Existence' and 'Being' are made up philosophical concepts though ;)

The fact that you have just said "existence and being are made up philosophical concepts" proves beyond all doubt that being is. You cannot conceive of being you can only be it. First there is being then the conception of it which is existence. Out of existence you conceive of yourself as being somethings in particular hence you exist as a mental formation. Being is not even in the picture, so what can be said about it? Being acts as a medium out of which the consciousness sprouts. In the consciousness all forms are manifested and the particular is born. To know first you must be otherwise what could be said?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 am

That all makes clear sense. Thank you. :D

Azania wrote:The fact that you have just said "existence and being are made up philosophical concepts" proves beyond all doubt that being is.
Can you flesh that out into some sort of meaningful English? Skepticon of Pyrrhonia has already offered a simple testable indicator of whether something exists or not. You are now trying to reintroduce the ambiguous word "being" when there is no further need to do so.

Azania wrote:You cannot conceive of being you can only be it.
That doesn't mean anything and again fails as it is subjective to the person "conceiving". Skepticon of Pyrrhonia has already introduced a simpler and more meaningful indicator that is not subjective, but rather universal.

Azania wrote:Being is not even in the picture, so what can be said about it?
Nothing. We don't need the word at all. Why introduce an ambiguously meaning word to an already simply and satisfactory test as to whether something exists?

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Azania wrote: Being is not even in the picture, so what can be said about it?

Quite a lot, apparently.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Skepticon of Pyrrhonia

Postby Skepticon of Pyrrhonia » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 am

Azania wrote:

The fact that you have just said "existence and being are made up philosophical concepts" proves beyond all doubt that being is. You cannot conceive of being you can only be it. First there is being then the conception of it which is existence. Out of existence you conceive of yourself as being somethings in particular hence you exist as a mental formation. Being is not even in the picture, so what can be said about it? Being acts as a medium out of which the consciousness sprouts. In the consciousness all forms are manifested and the particular is born. To know first you must be otherwise what could be said?

I'm referring to "Being" and "Existence" being used to justified pseudophilosophy, as if they are things in themselves. This is different than using non-loaded words like: I am alive, I am thinking, I exist, etc. That would be like instead of just stating that I am alive, I say, I am a Living Being.

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:13 pm

It's getting so I'd rather not exist.
Oh wait~ I've felt like that
like forever eh
Doh!

Society gives u no Freewill to even
exist without money. Born without money?
No body will hire u?
Got no place to live?
That's ur problem.

Before I was born I had great expectations.
Now~ I have many disappointments.

People in general ~ are unkind.
*~ •~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*
They make nature a science
by forcing it to comply to the ideals
of the scientist.
*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~*
Ya Whay lol

GB_Cobber

Postby GB_Cobber » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:18 pm

To the proverbial electron in a superconductor that experiences absolutely no resistance to its expression and is thus omnipresent, thus omniscient, thus omnipotent, there no need, no asking, choosing or waiting, nor is there anything that is not, everything just is, thus there is no need to qualify what Is. In such a state only thing the electron would ever have to do in order to have anything it wants at any time is to insist. Kinda like Samantha in Bewitched, though she also had to twitch her nose and sometimes chant some syntax. Ever wonder why Dr. Bombay never misses a housecall?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Kinda like the "If you're everywhere, you're nowhere"? But without any need, from what would the "insisting" arise?

Welcome to SSF, GB_Cobber.

GB_Cobber

Postby GB_Cobber » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:14 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Kinda like the "If you're everywhere, you're nowhere"? But without any need, from what would the "insisting" arise?

Thanks scrmbldggs.

Well, you could desire to just be somewhere instead of everywhere and nowhere. A little focus and relative stability can be comforting at times, so long as you don't make a habit of it for too long and lose sight of the bigger picture.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:33 pm

GB_Cobber wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Kinda like the "If you're everywhere, you're nowhere"? But without any need, from what would the "insisting" arise?

Thanks scrmbldggs.

Well, you could desire to just be somewhere instead of everywhere and nowhere. A little focus and relative stability can be comforting at times, so long as you don't make a habit of it for too long and lose sight of the bigger picture.

yw ... If I may ask, are you simply contemplating and discussing these/such issues, or are you advocating them?

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:38 pm

I feel a chorus if Hi Ho Silver Lining coming on ...

GB_Cobber

Postby GB_Cobber » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:44 pm

scrmbldggs wrote: yw ... If I may ask, are you simply contemplating and discussing these/such issues, or are you advocating them?

You may ask so long as I may suggest you refrain from judging a law by the rules that are its measures.

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:25 pm

GB_Cobber wrote:To the proverbial electron in a superconductor that experiences absolutely no resistance to its expression and is thus omnipresent, thus omniscient, thus omnipotent, there no need, no asking, choosing or waiting, nor is there anything that is not, everything just is, thus there is no need to qualify what Is. In such a state only thing the electron would ever have to do in order to have anything it wants at any time is to insist. Kinda like Samantha in Bewitched, though she also had to twitch her nose and sometimes chant some syntax. Ever wonder why Dr. Bombay never misses a housecall?

Yaaa I'm far too kind and not pushy enough.
You really have to push hard the will to break the seal / ceiling ~ go to extremes to make
it happen. Not worth my time or energy.
Oh that's because I live in a place with too
much water in the air and it's like moving
wet cement.
of the scientist.
Ya Whay lol

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:32 pm

GB_Cobber wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: yw ... If I may ask, are you simply contemplating and discussing these/such issues, or are you advocating them?

You may ask so long as I may suggest you refrain from judging a law by the rules that are its measures.

I trust you realise, GB_Cobber, that what you have written above is nonsensical garbage? "I ask you not to judge a colour by the frequency of light defining it".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Poodle wrote:

Its purely definitional, but exactly "what" can be said to exist if it can only be observed indirectly? Seems to me you don't know what "it" IS.... until you can observe it or measure it DIRECTLY. Indirectly is like my Pay Pal account..... "it" might be something else?

You know?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:31 am

GB_Cobber wrote:To the proverbial electron in a superconductor that experiences absolutely no resistance to its expression and is thus omnipresent, thus omniscient, thus omnipotent, there no need, no asking, choosing or waiting, nor is there anything that is not, everything just is, thus there is no need to qualify what Is. In such a state only thing the electron would ever have to do in order to have anything it wants at any time is to insist. Kinda like Samantha in Bewitched, though she also had to twitch her nose and sometimes chant some syntax. Ever wonder why Dr. Bombay never misses a housecall?

This new learning amazes me. Could you recommend a website or some sort of blog?

Edit to add: I've herd it said Elizabeth Montgomery doesn’t float in gravy. What are your thoughts on this?

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:01 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Poodle wrote:

Its purely definitional, but exactly "what" can be said to exist if it can only be observed indirectly? Seems to me you don't know what "it" IS.... until you can observe it or measure it DIRECTLY. Indirectly is like my Pay Pal account..... "it" might be something else?

You know?

We have, a number of times, noticed 'wobbles' in the orbital paths of planets. We deduce from this that the wobbling planet is being orbited by something with a significant mass. A moon springs to mind (or even a planet in the case of a wobbling star).

True - it could be something else, like a huge intergalactic ship or the mother of all dragons, but we tend to go for 'moon'.

Happy New Year, bobbo :bw:

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:16 pm

sandisk wrote:objects, the sun, the moon, etc, exist

they have existence, they don't "exist"

do you guys agree?

If you remove all water ~ do they
still exist? Does anything exist?
of the scientist.
Ya Whay lol

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 am

Nobrot wrote:Edit to add: I've herd it said Elizabeth Montgomery doesn’t float in gravy. What are your thoughts on this?

She does when I serve her. Roasted, with little potatoes too.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 am

Angel wrote:Does anything exist?

Yes.
#ANDAMOVIE

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:12 am

Gord wrote:

Yes.

Prove it. xp
of the scientist.
Ya Whay lol

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Poodle wrote:

You know?

Mass hallucinating has taken over the
skeptic society ~ *light flashes your eyes*
You are now awake.........
of the scientist.
Ya Whay lol

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:28 am

Angel wrote:
Gord wrote:

Yes.

Prove it. xp

Done. How many xp do I get?
#ANDAMOVIE

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Gord wrote:
Angel wrote:
Gord wrote: