If glob were real

How should we think about weird things?
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28536
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: If god was real

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 am

gorgeous wrote:variations of each action and thought occur on multiple dimensions...can change the past and future as obe'ers know........


You made this up. That's why you have no evidence to support your hilarious religious claim.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31617
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: If god was real

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 am

Bobbie the Pragmatist wrote:
mirror93 wrote:I got some questions here, let's imagine the mythological figure and the whole story of god was real and there was a god and we were him...the One all one


I didn't read every post, but your post's headline is not what you intend. It should be in the next line.

If God were real

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything. It's enough work just correcting everyone on lay/lie.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: If god was real

Postby Monster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:He changed his mind. I don't see any conundrum at all. So limited in time, space, and causality you hoomans are.

The standard trope is Can God create a Rock he can't lift? This goes to a limitation of language and human cognition: Of Course God can. See?

No.

If a god is omniscient, then he knows everything, including what he's going to do in the future. If he knows what's going to happen in the future, he can't change his mind, and change what he was going to do, thus he's not omnipotent.

If a god is omnipotent, then he can change his mind 10 seconds later from time X, thus, he isn't omniscient at time X. He doesn't know everything, specifically what he was going to do at time X+10s.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14676
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: If god was real

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 am

Well, I assume he knew he would change his mind. That what omniscient means.

................................................................................................. "The Aristocrats........."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: If god was real

Postby mirror93 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Monster wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:He changed his mind. I don't see any conundrum at all. So limited in time, space, and causality you hoomans are.

The standard trope is Can God create a Rock he can't lift? This goes to a limitation of language and human cognition: Of Course God can. See?

No.

If a god is omniscient, then he knows everything, including what he's going to do in the future. If he knows what's going to happen in the future, he can't change his mind, and change what he was going to do, thus he's not omnipotent.

If a god is omnipotent, then he can change his mind 10 seconds later from time X, thus, he isn't omniscient at time X. He doesn't know everything, specifically what he was going to do at time X+10s.


Please, show the logical flaws about omnipresence
:paladin:

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: If god was real

Postby Monster » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm

mirror93 wrote:
Monster wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:He changed his mind. I don't see any conundrum at all. So limited in time, space, and causality you hoomans are.

The standard trope is Can God create a Rock he can't lift? This goes to a limitation of language and human cognition: Of Course God can. See?

No.

If a god is omniscient, then he knows everything, including what he's going to do in the future. If he knows what's going to happen in the future, he can't change his mind, and change what he was going to do, thus he's not omnipotent.

If a god is omnipotent, then he can change his mind 10 seconds later from time X, thus, he isn't omniscient at time X. He doesn't know everything, specifically what he was going to do at time X+10s.


Please, show the logical flaws about omnipresence

I haven't pondered the logical flaws of omnipresence, other than the fact that if a creature is everywhere, then it must be everything.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: If god was real

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Monster wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
Monster wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:He changed his mind. I don't see any conundrum at all. So limited in time, space, and causality you hoomans are.

The standard trope is Can God create a Rock he can't lift? This goes to a limitation of language and human cognition: Of Course God can. See?

No.

If a god is omniscient, then he knows everything, including what he's going to do in the future. If he knows what's going to happen in the future, he can't change his mind, and change what he was going to do, thus he's not omnipotent.

If a god is omnipotent, then he can change his mind 10 seconds later from time X, thus, he isn't omniscient at time X. He doesn't know everything, specifically what he was going to do at time X+10s.


Please, show the logical flaws about omnipresence

I haven't pondered the logical flaws of omnipresence, other than the fact that if a creature is everywhere, then it must be everything.

Also simultaneously throughout all time. If not, the speed of light limitation for information transfer would {!#%@} him up majorly.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: If god was real

Postby mirror93 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Monster wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
Monster wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:He changed his mind. I don't see any conundrum at all. So limited in time, space, and causality you hoomans are.

The standard trope is Can God create a Rock he can't lift? This goes to a limitation of language and human cognition: Of Course God can. See?

No.

If a god is omniscient, then he knows everything, including what he's going to do in the future. If he knows what's going to happen in the future, he can't change his mind, and change what he was going to do, thus he's not omnipotent.

If a god is omnipotent, then he can change his mind 10 seconds later from time X, thus, he isn't omniscient at time X. He doesn't know everything, specifically what he was going to do at time X+10s.


Please, show the logical flaws about omnipresence

I haven't pondered the logical flaws of omnipresence, other than the fact that if a creature is everywhere, then it must be everything.


if it's a creature it can't be everything. everything means all things; all the things of a group or class. a creature is a thing, therefore it would part of everything, even if it created things that make up everything...it would be apart from everything. therefore, not everything nor everywhere.......therefore, omnipresence is impossible......
:paladin:

Bobbie the Pragmatist
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 3:43 am

Re: If god was real

Postby Bobbie the Pragmatist » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:44 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Bobbie the Pragmatist wrote:
mirror93 wrote:I got some questions here, let's imagine the mythological figure and the whole story of god was real and there was a god and we were him...the One all one


I didn't read every post, but your post's headline is not what you intend. It should be in the next line.

If God were real

What do you mean by the headline is not what Mirror intended? He might be wrong, or it might be better stated, but it is exactly what he intended. He wrote it.

So what if he wrote it! Stop changing the subject. The correction is there. Move along.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: If god was real

Postby mirror93 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:52 pm

what If were was real
:paladin:

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31617
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: If god was real

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 am

what was were real if?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gebobs
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:57 am
Contact:

Re: If god was real

Postby gebobs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Bobbie the Pragmatist wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Bobbie the Pragmatist wrote:
mirror93 wrote:I got some questions here, let's imagine the mythological figure and the whole story of god was real and there was a god and we were him...the One all one


I didn't read every post, but your post's headline is not what you intend. It should be in the next line.

If God were real

What do you mean by the headline is not what Mirror intended? He might be wrong, or it might be better stated, but it is exactly what he intended. He wrote it.

So what if he wrote it! Stop changing the subject. The correction is there. Move along.


I believe it's a quibble that the subject should be written in the past subjunctive ("If God were real") rather than simply past indicative ("If god was real"). From wikipedia: Subjunctive forms of verbs are typically used to express various states of unreality such as wish, emotion, possibility, judgment, opinion, obligation, or action that have not yet occurred; the precise situations in which they are used vary from language to language. The subjunctive in Modern English occurs in a variety of contexts usually relating to desire or conditional actions. "

Subaru7
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: If god was real

Postby Subaru7 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:35 pm

gebobs wrote:
Bobbie the Pragmatist wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Bobbie the Pragmatist wrote:
mirror93 wrote:I got some questions here, let's imagine the mythological figure and the whole story of god was real and there was a god and we were him...the One all one


I didn't read every post, but your post's headline is not what you intend. It should be in the next line.

If God were real

What do you mean by the headline is not what Mirror intended? He might be wrong, or it might be better stated, but it is exactly what he intended. He wrote it.

So what if he wrote it! Stop changing the subject. The correction is there. Move along.


I believe it's a quibble that the subject should be written in the past subjunctive ("If God were real") rather than simply past indicative ("If god was real"). From wikipedia: Subjunctive forms of verbs are typically used to express various states of unreality such as wish, emotion, possibility, judgment, opinion, obligation, or action that have not yet occurred; the precise situations in which they are used vary from language to language. The subjunctive in Modern English occurs in a variety of contexts usually relating to desire or conditional actions. "

Thank you for writing this, or else I would have felt constrained to make the same point.

Long live the subjunctive!!
.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: If god was real

Postby placid » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I simply don't think you can take a character from fiction, who is given fictional powers and then try to apply real world logic to that character. There should be a skeptical buzz word for doing that.


What or who does that?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: If godd were real

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Confused, you are. Learn much, you must.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9583
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: If godd were real

Postby Poodle » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:06 pm

TING!
I had foreseen this event in the swirl of a rat's tutu.
TING! TING!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14676
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: If god was real

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 pm

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I simply don't think you can take a character from fiction, who is given fictional powers and then try to apply real world logic to that character. There should be a skeptical buzz word for doing that.


What or who does that?


Thats the very art of good fiction. "As close to reality as possible" in order for it to seem real. Its the genesis of the expression "If this were written in a novel, it would be criticized as too fantastic."

Thing is: real life has to be fictionalized to make it sound: pick your favorite attribute? EG: heroic, noble....etc.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31617
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: If godd were real

Postby Gord » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Why's it godd now?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: If godd were real

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:57 pm

That's weirdd
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: If god was real

Postby mirror93 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I simply don't think you can take a character from fiction, who is given fictional powers and then try to apply real world logic to that character. There should be a skeptical buzz word for doing that.


̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶or who does that?


Can anyone please tell me why is Placid always asking for who is responsible for doing something? Does she work in human rights?
:paladin:

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: If god was real

Postby Monster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 pm

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I simply don't think you can take a character from fiction, who is given fictional powers and then try to apply real world logic to that character. There should be a skeptical buzz word for doing that.


What or who does that?

In the question "What or who does that?", can you clarify what you mean by "that"?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31617
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: If godd were real

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Hu's on first, Watt's on second.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: If godd were real

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Watt's up, Doc.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28536
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: If god was real

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I simply don't think you can take a character from fiction, who is given fictional powers and then try to apply real world logic to that character. There should be a skeptical buzz word for doing that.
placid wrote:What or who does that?
Idiots who come here to claim gods from fiction are real.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: If godd were real

Postby mirror93 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:33 am

Gord wrote:Why's it godd now?


Idk, what name do you suggest?
:paladin:

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31617
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: If godd were real

Postby Gord » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 am

mirror93 wrote:
Gord wrote:Why's it godd now?

Idk, what name do you suggest?

Glob, of course.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14676
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: If glob were real

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:31 pm

I think its cute one can change the OP Title. Adds imagination and creativity to our bitching and moaning. Course...change it too much and have a new poster be the last responder, and the issue could be derailed?

I used to post on a forum that allowed one's NAME to be changed without effort. I tried to tailor my name to the point I was going to make. Fun/laborious but was a fun thing to do for a year or so.

EG: Grub, the Fifth Face of Glob, says Eat Your Wheaties....I know, not that great, but what you gonna do this far from the train station?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31617
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: If glob were real

Postby Gord » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Much better.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: If glob were real

Postby mirror93 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 am

glob, god, flying spaghetti monster ... it's all in the same category
:paladin:

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: If glob were real

Postby Aztexan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 am

Excuse me. The FSM does not belong in any category that includes god. Pasta is real. Pasta is good. Pasta is real good. Add sauce. Fuggedaboutit.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: If glob were real

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am

No one can disprove some kind of deity exists, as long as that deity is not described.

But as soon as a religion starts to tell you what a deity is like, you can get stuck in and disprove that specific deity. The Christian deity is easy to disprove, since Christians have decided exactly what he, she or it is like.

But maybe, somewhere a few million light years away, there is an alien life form so advanced that from our limited perspective, it is a deity. Of course, that far away, it can have no influence on humanity, so deity or not, it is not humanity's deity.

I think of the deities fabricated by current human religions as "gods who hide". Because, if they were really that great, we could not avoid knowing about them, unless they put in a solid effort to conceal themselves.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14676
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: If glob were real

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 am

…..and if we want to respect our gods....we should honor their desire to be hidden/out of sight/of no consequence. No holy book, no golden plates: obviously the work of man.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest