IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

How should we think about weird things?
KevinLevites
Poster

Re: IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

Postby KevinLevites » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Kevin

I have always thought that an element of paranoia is adaptive, built into us by natural selection. Being too trusting would carry the risk of betrayal and be counter survival. Perhaps paranoia as mental illness is simply the proper adaptive trait out of control? What do you think ?

I can see the argument. Drugs may intensify certian things that might be healthy in their proper context, but intensify this healthy attribute into something toxic.

As an example, it's healthy to keep your house clean, and unhealthy to do methamphetamine and clean it repeatedly until you become psychotic from sleep deprivation.

I could point out other examples, so I get your point. There is a grey area between caution and paranoia, so perhaps brain function and perception have a role in deciding where that line is.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: IF YOU BELIEVE IN CONSPIRACY THEORIES, SCIENCE SAYS THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 am

For example, homeschooling in order to keep your children's minds from being poisoned by science.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:For example, homeschooling in order to keep your children's minds from being poisoned by science.

I've thought about the homeschooling thing.

I think it's bad because I want to see a difference between education and indoctorination...but at the same time, parents are afraid of their kids getting shot, getting mixed up in gangs, and getting exposed to drugs. I'm sympathetic toward these concerns as well.

What's the answer?

I don't know.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Well, if the parents are capable of giving the kids a decent education, including peer group social interaction, I have no problem with it. However, among my hillbilly cousins "homeschooling" means beating them over the head with a Bible. Those kids will never get into a college that doesn't have "Baptist" or "Animal" in the name.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Just spotted this. Although studies are easily dismissed by conspiracy theorists as part of the conspiracy of lies, so, not sure what difference it will make.

Couple examples recently. A friend introduced me to the Sane Progressive, a YouTuber who uses Alex Jones techniques with a slightly liberal spin. She was going on about the Parkland kids being crisis actors. One of them is named Samantha Fuentes. Out of nowhere she says, and oh, there was a guy named Sam Fuentes who witnessed the San Bernadino shooter, "they can't even come up with unique names". When I was trying to debunk it I told my friend that was so out there, it's almost that she is telling you she is a parody.

On a more serious note, just about any anti-gun control person will take some random fact about gun control in some dictatorship of the past and claim that was how they took over the population. A guy used a 1959 speech by Fidel Castro, which he couldn't quote or connect to any gun laws. And he just posted a site with the current laws, he didn't point to anything that said guns were illegal, or even that difficult to get. He couldn't, because there are no such laws.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Dubious

Postby Dubious » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 pm

That depends on whether there are actual conspiracy's going on. Of course, humans could never stoop so low. The very idea is a conspiracy in itself! :lol: :roll:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:59 am

Dubious wrote:That depends on whether there are actual conspiracy's going on. Of course, humans could never stoop so low. The very idea is a conspiracy in itself! :lol: :roll:

:snork:

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Or maybe Fuentes is a fairly common last name.
https://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:31 pm

A few years ago, and there are only a few people who can confirm this, I said the only conspiracy theory I believed was that there are people making up conspiracies. I didn't know who was doing it, but my theory was their only goal was to confuse and distract. I should have got a YouTube channel.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 pm

All God's chillin' got Poe's.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:05 pm

:shock:
:afdb:
trump is Putin's bitch

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue May 01, 2018 7:49 pm

wiki------ In 2013, Richard Belzer published Hit List: An In-Depth Investigation into the Mysterious Deaths of Witnesses to the JFK Assassination that examines the deaths of 50 people linked to the assassination and claims they were murdered as part of a cover-up.[52]

Vincent Bugliosi described the death of journalist Dorothy Kilgallen—who said she was granted a private interview with Jack Ruby—as "perhaps the most prominent mysterious death" cited by assassination researchers.[53] According to author Jerome Kroth, Mafia figures Sam Giancana, John Roselli, Carlos Prio, Jimmy Hoffa, Charles Nicoletti, Leo Moceri, Richard Cain, Salvatore Granello and Dave Yaras were likely murdered to prevent them from revealing their knowledge.[54] According to author Matthew Smith, others with some tie to the case who have died suspicious deaths include Lee Bowers, Gary Underhill, William Sullivan, David Ferrie, Clay Shaw, George de Mohrenschildt, four showgirls who worked for Jack Ruby, and Ruby himself.[55]

The House Select Committee on Assassinations investigated another alleged "mysterious death"—that of Rose Cheramie.[56] The Committee reported that Louisiana State Police Lieutenant Francis Fruge traveled to Eunice, Louisiana, on November 20, 1963—two days before the assassination—to pick up Cheramie, who had sustained minor injuries when she was hit by a car.[57][58] Fruge drove Cheramie to the hospital and said that on the way there, she "...related to [him] that she was coming from Florida to Dallas with two men who were Italians or resembled Italians." Fruge asked her what she planned to do in Dallas, to which she replied: "...number one, pick up some money, pick up [my] baby, and ... kill Kennedy."[58] Cheramie was admitted and treated at State Hospital in Jackson, Louisiana for alcohol and heroin addiction.

State Hospital physician Dr. Victor Weiss later told a House Select Committee investigator that on November 25—three days after the assassination—one of his fellow physicians told him that Cheramie had "stated before the assassination that President Kennedy was going to be killed".[59] Dr. Weiss further reported that Cheramie told him after the assassination that she had worked for Jack Ruby and that her knowledge of the assassination originated from "word in the underworld".[58] After the assassination, Lt. Fruge contacted Dallas Police Captain Will Fritz regarding what he had learned from Cheramie, but Fritz told him he "wasn't interested".[60] Cheramie was found dead by a highway near Big Sandy, Texas, on September 4, 1965; she had been run over by a car.[61]

Another "suspicious death" cited by Jim Marrs was that of Joseph Milteer, director of the Dixie Klan of Georgia. Milteer was secretly tape-recorded thirteen days before the assassination telling Miami police informant William Somersett that the murder of Kennedy was "in the working". Milteer died in 1974 when a heater exploded in his house.[62][63][64
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed May 02, 2018 5:19 am

I didn't think Hoffa's death was related to the Kennedy assassination. But what do I know? I'm just someone who reads the internets.
trump is Putin's bitch

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:28 am

If gorgeous says something, it is thereby demonstrated to be almost certainly wrong.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 am

wiki-----, when John F. Kennedy was elected president in 1960, he appointed his younger brother Robert F. Kennedy as Attorney General. Robert Kennedy had been frustrated in earlier attempts to convict Hoffa, while working as counsel to the McClellan subcommittee. As Attorney General from 1961, Kennedy pursued the strongest attack on organized crime that the country had ever seen,[citation needed] and he carried on with a so-called "Get Hoffa" squad of prosecutors and investigators.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

Gee, the Attorney General looking to bring a crook to trial. Clearly a conspiracy...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are cousins - Business Insider

www.businessinsider.com/prince-harry-an ... ns-2017-10

---protecting the bloodline as always...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Q.E.D.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat May 19, 2018 2:54 pm

a) I doubt it.
b) So what?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 3:19 pm

ancestry.com----Like so many other members of the monarchy, Camilla and Charles are distant cousins. --------------------Royal Wedding: William and Kate are (very) distant cousins – Channel ...

https://www.channel4.com/.../royal-wedd ... nt-cousin.. ----------------------Royal Wedding: William and Kate are (very) distant cousins – Channel ...

https://www.channel4.com/.../royal-wedd ... t-cousin...

Apr 28, 2011 - Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana both descend from Sir William ---------------------wiki---------Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and his wife Elizabeth II are second cousins once removed through Christian IX and also third cousins as they are both great-great-grandchildren of Victoria.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 19, 2018 3:32 pm

SFW

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 3:38 pm

it's the illuminati bloodline they protect...all related to Queen ----All presidents bar one are directly descended from a medieval English King...

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../All-presidents- ... ish-king...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton are related, genealogy experts say ...

https://www.washingtontimes.com/.../don ... -genealo...

--------------------Could Trump be related to every President? - ILLINOISHOMEPAGE

www.illinoishomepage.net/news/local-new ... /407297447

Mar 21, 2016 - ... candidate Donald Trump is related to every single U.S. President, and ... Trump and President Obama are 26th cousins, four times removed.-----------------------------------also related to the Queen...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 19, 2018 3:55 pm

gorgeous wrote:it's the illuminati bloodline they protect...all related to Queen ----All presidents bar one are directly descended from a medieval English King...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../All-pres ... ish-king...

What kind of jackass quotes the Daily Fail.

Oh, that's right, your kind.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 4:06 pm

US Presidential Bloodlines -

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/topics. ... 12/mb.ashx

May 7, 2008 - Did you know all 43 U.S. presidents have carried European royal ... So it goes on: 19 of them are related to England's Edward III, who has 2000 ...

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm

I smell boolsheet.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Obama and Bush are Cousins! - The New York Times

https://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... e-cousins/

Mar 21, 2008 - Hell froze over. A month of Sundays hit the calendar. Barack Obama and George W. Bush are cousins.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Look Who's Related: George Washington and all the Presidents

www.geni.com/.../look-whos-related-geor ... ts-32545...

Feb 20, 2011 - William J. Clinton is George Washington's third cousin 6 times removed's .... Some how Ford is related to Nixon who is related to all other ...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Family relationship of Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter via William ...

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-chart. ... y+carter...

Genealogy chart showing how Barack Obama (44th U.S. President) is the 8th cousin 2 times removed to Jimmy Carter (39th U.S. President) via their common ...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Kenyan?

Lard, save me from your followers.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat May 19, 2018 7:58 pm

If you look back a few centuries, most Anglo Saxon people are related. Nothing new there.

I have English, Scottish, Irish, and Welsh ancestors. If we looked hard enough, I bet there would be tenuous links with royalty from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

Which means exactly nothing.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 19, 2018 8:10 pm

then surely you'll loan me some money...right brother?

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”