Women's Ways of Knowing

How should we think about weird things?
Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 am

Electro432 wrote:My traffic lights scenario has been a study for myself supported by my child. I get her to look at the nobby numb knuts that doesnt react fast enough. Its a fifty fifty split in terms of gender balance. There are as many bad male drivers as there are female. It's a simple observation.
Statistics don't back up your observations. :mrgreen:

Male drivers commit reckless driving, DUI, and seatbelt violations at triple the rate; speed at nearly twice the rate; and fail to yield, ignore stop signs, and run red lights at 1.5 times the rate of female drivers. In every age bracket, male drivers have a higher rate of fatal car crashes than female drivers.*

*Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
...it used to be so simple, once upon a time.
Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.
—Terry Pratchett, from Witches Abroad

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Statistics don't back up your observations. :mrgreen:

Male drivers commit reckless driving, DUI, and seatbelt violations at triple the rate; speed at nearly twice the rate; and fail to yield, ignore stop signs, and run red lights at 1.5 times the rate of female drivers. In every age bracket, male drivers have a higher rate of fatal car crashes than female drivers.*

I'd bet money (being reckless and male) that her observations are correct. She has time and place bias up the tailpipe...thats all. Thats what happens with anecdotal evidence...........all too often.

.............................and gee............ Lance is wrong again?????????? How does THAT always happen?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki: would you say that about SHARKS?????

Then, why the discrimination?
I've never had a problem with sharks. People have built up sharks as the ultimate fear, ignoring the fact that they (the people) spend most of their time on land. But if you're going to go swimming in the shark's soup bowl, expect to have a problem. ;) To the shark, you're just a tasty wonton in his soup. :mrgreen:
Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Statistics don't back up your observations. :mrgreen:

I'd bet money (being reckless and male) that her observations are correct. She has time and place bias up the tailpipe...thats all. Thats what happens with anecdotal evidence...........all too often.

.............................and gee............ Lance is wrong again?????????? How does THAT always happen?

Lance wasn't wrong.
Lance Kennedy wrote:But as far as driving is concerned, due to the risk taking, women are generally better.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 am

There's another Venn Diagram.........................somewhere........................ I know I saw it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki: would you say that about SHARKS?????

Then, why the discrimination?
I've never had a problem with sharks. People have built up sharks as the ultimate fear, ignoring the fact that they (the people) spend most of their time on land. But if you're going to go swimming in the shark's soup bowl, expect to have a problem. ;) To the shark, you're just a tasty wonton in his soup. :mrgreen:

I think more like the fly, however edible. Pfah.

(Now that is tasty! :-P)

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:I've never had a problem with sharks. People have built up sharks as the ultimate fear, ignoring the fact that they (the people) spend most of their time on land. But if you're going to go swimming in the shark's soup bowl, expect to have a problem. ;) To the shark, you're just a tasty wonton in his soup. :mrgreen:

I think more like the fly, however edible. Pfah.

(Now that is tasty! :-P)

Mmmm...tastes like chicken! Like people, sharks can be quite easily disabled long enough to provide an opportunity for your escape. Be prepared.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:32 am

I have doubtless had more experience with sharks than every other contributor to this forum put together. I have swum at 30 meters depths (100 feet down for you ignorant Americans), with bull sharks passing within one meter of me. Bull sharks are considered by some authorities as the most dangerous potential man eaters of all. But they were beautiful, and I still have both arms, both legs, ten fingers and ten toes.

Humans are not natural prey for sharks, and sharks will mostly not bother. Now and again, a shark, out of curiosity, will wrap its mouth around a human to see what he or she feels like. Not a problem as long as that person does not flinch !

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: Now and again, a shark, out of curiosity, will wrap its mouth around a human to see what he or she feels like. Not a problem as long as that person does not flinch !

Having been "approached" twice, I wish I had known all I had to do was "not flinch."

Did you gain this gem from experience, read it, told it, or made up out of whole cloth?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 am

Bobbo

I have a strong interest in sharks and their behaviour (look at my avatar). I have a great deal of experience watching their behaviour, with me in the water near them, and I have studied what other people have observed and researched. My comment about not flinching was, I admit, a bit tongue in cheek, but there is at least a small amount of truth in it.

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 am

All this generalization!
What about nurse sharks? Doesn't anyone mention the good they do for our health system?
Or the vital part hammerhead sharks play in manufacturing?
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 am

Small.................... as in "none."

I keep tellin ya to get that DICTIONARY.

Investigatory bites less than fatal are NOT "no problem." But.............tongue in cheek huh? Just how are we supposed to tell?

Hmmmm..........there are gray sharks for the oldsters, and blue sharks if you are upset and sad. White tipped always good for a party. Tiger and Leopard for a change in pace. I do like Mako for their "look" and speed, and salmon sharks for their specialization.

The Ocean. Full of cool stuff.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 am

Small is not the same as none.
Some years ago, I met Rodney Fox, who is possibly Australia's most famous shark attack victim. He was 'mouthed ' by a great white shark, and ended up in hospital fighting for his life. Rodney was very clear about the situation, with all the wisdom of hind sight. The enormous shark had its mouth around his midsection, but was not applying pressure. Rod fought vigorously, as is natural, and in doing so tore his chest and arm open. Rodney Fox now admits that if he had frozen still, instead of fighting, the harm would have been minimal.

The reason my suggestion is tongue in cheek is because I know not one person in a million in that situation would have stayed still.

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 am

In my wisdom, I would have just fainted .
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

So.............has anyone in recorded history ever been "mouthed" by a shark?..............a Great White????

Contra: I have heard stories of people being "bumped" by sharks..........teeth never applied.

What I have constantly heard from attack victims who survive: gouge the eyes and hope the shark does not come back. That his exploratory bite showed "not enough fat to make it worth the effort."

Say Lance, with your encyclopedic knowledge, why don't sharks when hungry just swim up to any whale that is out there and simply take a chunk or more out? Even killer whales apparently choose to drown baby whales rather than just take a few bites. The only exception I have read about is my favorite salmon shark that evidently will take a tennis sized bite out of a whale. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I've never had a problem with sharks. People have built up sharks as the ultimate fear, ignoring the fact that they (the people) spend most of their time on land.

They're evolving!
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I have swum at 30 meters depths (100 feet down for you ignorant Americans)
Patently unnecessary and borderline xenophobic snark. The US government is not under the control of the Americans in this forum, nor can we override the considerable combined lobbies of US corporations and other interests which are manifestly uninterested in any cause which does not immediately fill their bank accounts...and which would cost them money from their bank accounts. Further, most, if not all, of us are more than familiar with the metric system either through our work, or because we support changing over. Always be sure you can ride the high horse before you get on.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Aw naw, Nikki. That was just a familiar and harmless joke by Lance. He only gets intense when challenged on his scientific knowledge. Or about gun issues.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Bobbo

Sharks taking a bite out of a whale is common. There is a tiny shark known as the Cookie Cutter Shark (check it on wiki) which takes an almost perfectly circular bite. I snorkelled with a dwarf minke whale at South Minerva Reef once, and it's body had quite a number of circular scars showing those attacks.

I am always cynical about those who claim to gouge the eyes of a shark to save themselves. Much more likely, in my ever so humble opinion, that it was not a serious attack and the shark just wandered off. But people like to fool themselves.

Incidentally, I did not claim an encyclopedic knowledge of sharks. Just a lot of experience, which is not the same thing. There are genuine shark experts out there at whose feet I am a humble worshipper.

I have a personal hypothesis, though, about shark attacks. It is not proven, so I make no claims about it being correct, but it is a definite possibility. One thing about the marine environment is the large number of poisonous animals. Eat one and die. So my hypothesis is that marine predators tend to have a 'shopping list ' of prey they know are safe to eat. They are reluctant to eat any animal not on that list. That explains why few humans get killed and eaten by sharks. Attacks on humans are very rare, and normally do not involve the person being eaten. It also explains why that vicious but highly intelligent killer, the orca, has never been known to kill humans. Well, not in the wild, anyway.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks Lance.....I said salmon shark but was indeed thinking of the cookie cutter.

Just cause we're talking, my two experiences: the first one was in the Bahamas and I went overboard to get out anchor unstuck from between corals. There was a 10 foot shark that simply circled me very lazily about 30 feet away. I got out of the water being nervous about him. My captain told me to get back in that the shark would leave me alone...... and he did. Still circling, always 30 feet away. Still unnerving.

Speaking of unnerving and the Bahamas......often swam with 5 or 6 3to4 foot long barracuda in the water with me....but one time there were 5 or 6 barracuda and a minute later there were over 100...all just schooled around me. I slowly swam to the boat. I'm usually spear fishing when in the water and I stop when shark or barracuda are spotted. They'd probably go just for the fish.......but I don't rely on their "nature."

Years earlier, forget where, I was in surf near a wreckage and two sharks about 3 feet long each just very lazily swam up to me. The lead shark to within a foot straight for my belly. I had a broom stick with me that I simply put in his way and I bumped him. He made a very tight 360 within his body length and came at me again. Again, I bumped him out of the way. He and his buddy swam off. I'm sure if I had not seen him coming, he would have taken an exploratory bite, and his friend probably would have joined. I never swam in murky water or without a stick after that event. Point: young sharks more aggressive/curious than older ones.

Third time saying: 20 years later, I got ptsd regarding an overwhelming dread I was going to be attacked by a shark..... while swimming in my own pool. Weird how that happens.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Aw naw, Nikki. That was just a familiar and harmless joke by Lance. He only gets intense when challenged on his scientific knowledge. Or about gun issues.

Meter? What does swimming in the ocean got to do with music?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Aw naw, Nikki. That was just a familiar and harmless joke by Lance. He only gets intense when challenged on his scientific knowledge. Or about gun issues.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 am

Well.......... yeah, there's that.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 am

Bobbo

Let me tell you another shark story, on the hazards of talking too much.

On a dive trip, I turned out to be the most experienced diver, and the beginners around me were nervous of sharks, since we were going to a very exposed site in deep water. Big mouth me told them not to worry. I had dived with sharks before and they were all no problem. Well, we anchored by the rock, and were getting geared up to jump in, when a very large shark swam almost to the back of the boat. Everyone turned and looked at me. I was about ready to go, so I plucked up my courage and jumped into the water. I did my dive, but was somewhat nervous throughout, because it was a BIG shark. Later, the other guys told me that the moment I went splash, the shark turned and torpedoed for the horizon at high speed. But it showed me that boasting can backfire on you.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 am

What backfired? You boasted, and were correct. I agree most animals have a fairly rigid food list and humans are not on most of them. We evolved too late.....and most learning experiences show we minimally fight back AND don't taste too good.

When you are right, you are right. Stupid though to get in the water with "any" other predator around. They just don't care. I hate jellyfish the most. Too stupid to have a list, like Republicans, they sting everyone but their own.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 am

Lance didn't tell you what the actual repellent was when he let go of his... concerns. :-P

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 am

Fair enough. I do find it annoying being lumped in with the large numbers of ignorant people who happen to share my birth country, most of whom would probably call Homeland Security on me at the slightest provocation, since I'm not blindly patriotic and not remotely nationalistic. :mrgreen:

Clue me in on the gun issues so I can poke him about those. Image I'm kidding; given what I've read, Lance and I pretty much agree in that area, especially where the US is concerned. His comments on what he has researched re: the gun issue have been rational and thoughtful, IMO.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:05 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I am always cynical about those who claim to gouge the eyes of a shark to save themselves. Much more likely, in my ever so humble opinion, that it was not a serious attack and the shark just wandered off. But people like to fool themselves.

Incidentally, I did not claim an encyclopedic knowledge of sharks. Just a lot of experience, which is not the same thing. There are genuine shark experts out there at whose feet I am a humble worshipper.
I have a shark question for you, Lance. When I initially saw the following clip, I chuckled a bit thinking about the limiting power of water pressure on human movement, especially since one of my courses of physical therapy took place in a swimming pool. I'm curious as to your take on it, since you have an abundance of snorkeling experience. Real life solution or just movie silliness?
https://youtu.be/9z6_GAPIkTU?t=1m15s

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:07 am

What?! Have you not seen The Little Mermaid? ;)

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:08 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

Great minds think alike. I posted my comment before seeing yours. :mrgreen: Shall I be "pchdggs?" Or "mlt?" :mrgreen:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 am

:lol: You're too hard-boiled to be a fluffy. :-P

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:25 am

On Lara Croft

I would judge two practical errors in that clip.

First, the blood would have been useless. It would not have been dispersed far enough, quickly enough, and the ability of sharks to detect blood is normally very exaggerated. The thing is that water dilutes blood really quickly, and gets below detection level before you know it.

Second, while riding a shark would no doubt be exciting, any predatory shark would have no problem shaking you off. The only sharks I would consider riding are the whale shark and the basking shark, both slow moving plankton feeders. Lots of Australians have had the bright idea of riding wobbegongs, which spend most of their daylight hours lying on the sea bed. But they have a nasty trick. They can turn inside their own body length, and bite. Nor do they let go. More than one idiot has walked out of the water with a wobbegong attached.

Let me add a postscript to this.
There is a very effective way of attracting sharks, though not as dramatic as slashing yourself, which is much better for Hollywood. Sound travels further and faster than blood, and sharks are adapted to homing in on the sound of a struggling and wounded fish. You can simulate this sound by crushing a plastic drink bottle in your fist, repeatedly. I have never done this because, much as I love sharks, I also respect them and have no desire to pretend to be prey ! But I have seen a dive guide doing this, and the grey whaler came at him in a full predator attack. The shark got within 3 meters and then turned abruptly and swam off as if seriously frightened. Lara Croft would not have had a chance to even touch it.
Last edited by Lance Kennedy on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:44 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:On Lara Croft

I would judge two practical errors in that clip.

First, the blood would have been useless. It would not have been dispersed far enough, quickly enough, and the ability of sharks to detect blood is normally very exaggerated. The thing is that water dilutes blood really quickly, and gets below detection level before you know it.

Second, while riding a shark would no doubt be exciting, any predatory shark would have no problem shaking you off. The only sharks I would consider riding are the whale shark and the basking shark, both slow moving plankton feeders. Lots of Australians have had the bright idea of riding wobbegongs, which spend most of their daylight hours lying on the sea bed. But they have a nasty trick. They can turn inside their own body length, and bite. Nor do they let go. More than one idiot has walked out of the water with a wobbegong attached.
Ha. See? Two things that didn't even occur to me. So the whole "don't swim in the ocean when you're menstruating" is a myth, then. Given the way that water pressure limits movement, would she have been able to punch the shark?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 am

She wouldn't have in real life. That shark's growl was much too menacing. :roll: :lol:

Also, she surely ain't this fearsome ocean dweller...

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 am

Nikki

About swimming in the ocean while menstruating.

Imagine swimming in ten metres depth of water, and a shark is one kilometer away. The woman spills 3 grams of blood. For arguments sake, we will say the blood dispersed evenly in all directions. The concentration at one kilometer distance will be 1 part in 10 billion. Any shark that can detect that is clearly from the planet Krypton, and should have a giant 'S' on its front and wear a cape.

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:17 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Electro432 wrote:My traffic lights scenario has been a study for myself supported by my child. I get her to look at the nobby numb knuts that doesnt react fast enough. Its a fifty fifty split in terms of gender balance. There are as many bad male drivers as there are female. It's a simple observation.

Are those statistics adjusted for distance driven, or trips taken? My guess is that males do more of the driving when the vehicle has a male and female licensed occupant, so somewhat naturally males would run the risk of higher rates of violations. Not that I think such adjustments would fully account for these differences...

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:27 am

TJrandom wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:

Are those statistics adjusted for distance driven, or trips taken? My guess is that males do more of the driving when the vehicle has a male and female licensed occupant, so somewhat naturally males would run the risk of higher rates of violations. Not that I think such adjustments would fully account for these differences...

The fatal crash statistics are per million miles traveled, so they're based on the same metric. Given that the data for the violations comes from the same source, it's probably safe to presume its statistics are adjusted appropriately.

A sample from the Source regarding impaired driving:
Male drivers are more likely to have BACs at or above .08 percent than female drivers (1.7 percent versus 1.4 percent), according to the 2013-2014 national roadside alcohol survey. Both percentages were lower than in 1996, when 5 percent of males and 3 percent of females had BACs at or above 0.08 percent.

The extent of alcohol impairment among fatally injured drivers has fallen since 1982 for both genders and for all age groups. Among fatally injured male drivers of passenger vehicles in 2015, 34 percent had BACs at or above 0.08 percent. The corresponding proportion among female drivers was 21 percent. Alcohol impairment in fatal crashes was highest for males ages 21-40 (47 percent).

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”